Thursday 19 December 2013

PERSONALITY INTERVIEW: IKONO LAWMAKER DEBUNKS NEWSPAPER REPORT by HENSHAW NYONG

GOVERNOR GOD'SWILL AKPABIO
SENETOR ALOYSIUS ETOK
HON. VICTOR C. UDOFIA


In this interview conducted by HENSHAW NYONG, the state representative of Ikono in the Akwa Ibom House of Assembly, Hon. Victor Charles Udofia, refuted claims about his alleged duplicity in the selection of Ikono political leader. He also talked on the NDDC leadership, constituency briefing and others.
 Excerpts:
Q: Sir, the report we have here is that there are some allegations on pages of newspapers in the state that upon the death of former political leader of Ikono and subsequent plan to replace him with Senator Aloysius Etok, the Governor has kicked against this move and has approached you and the Commissioner for Science and Technology, Engr. Iboro Ekanem, to work against it promising you a second term. The story also has it that you refused the Governor’s offer opting to pitch a tent with your kinsman, is this true?

A: Frankly, I have just seen the story on a newspaper called “THE INK”. Firstly, I must commend you for doing investigative journalism, I believe that this is the way forward, that is, hearing stories from both sides. I want to state that it is rather unfortunate for people to attempt using blackmail to get to the top or malign people.
Number one, the issue of political Leader of Ikono, yes there are moves to replace the political Leader of Ikono. I’m not holding brief for the Governor, however, as a man of integrity I must tell the truth, His Excellency, Chief Godswill Obot Akpabio, CON, has not given any body one Naira to thwart any move in connection with Senator Aloysius Etok emerging the political Leader of Ikono. That allegation is not correct, it is totally false.
Two, His Excellency, Chief Godswill Obot Akpabio,has not approached me the representative of Ikono, Mr. Victor Udofia, to go and thwart or not to support Senator Aloysius Etok as the political Leader of Ikono. I want to say that too is false. I still believe that the Governor has so many state matters to think about rather than get involved in the matter of a Local Government Area. I want to put it to you that the people decide who become their political leader and not the Governor. The Governor wouldn’t have any reason or need to go and get involved in such matter; I’m defending the Governor on that point. What happened was, just like a coup, (I was not there but in Abuja) a meeting was called; the Commissioner was not there, infact only two Board members were there.
 Precisely, one Dr. Tony Usoro and Mma Lovina Umoefa were there and one Jack Essien, SA to Governor on Project Monitoring, were there, but they all left when the issue of political leader was mentioned. So, simply few people rose up and moved a motion, according to report reaching me, that Senator Aloysius Etok, should be the political Leader of Ikono and Dr. Clement Bassey, should be the deputy political leader and it was moved and some body stood up and adopted the motion.
Now, when this thing happened, the same group of people went two weeks ago to bring out one former commissioner for Finance, Sir S. U. Akpan, to become the political Leader of Ikono, but unfortunately the same group of people went to the Paramount Ruler to report that I have brought Sir Akpan to be the political Leader of Ikono. The Paramount Ruler sent for me, where I told him he should leave those unserious people, appealing to him to face traditional issues and leave political matters. Today (Tuesday) by 2pm I had a meeting with that same group of people in the House of Assembly, where I told them they are trying to create confusion. The proper thing is that the day you decide to make a political Leader every party should be involved, every body should be part of it. How could they move motion to elect a new political Leader when the state representative is not there in the meeting, some of the Board Members where not there, Chief Etim Inyang, the chairman of the party was not in the meeting? So, how would that work? I advice them to go back since they said they came to consult me. You cannot consult me after going ahead to move a controversial motion and putting a date to install a political Leader on Friday being 20th of this month (December), why did you then come to me for advice or consultation? That is what I asked them, the man leading the committee was Sir Victor Etefia. I told them, you people went to remove some one from an axis, then the same youths turned back to make a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, representing 10 Local Government Areas, a political Leader? I told  them so and when they visited the Paramount Ruler three days ago, he told them that he is the King of Peace, adding that the House was not complete. He asked them to bring the said Political Leader, the state representative, the council Chairman and the commissioner. He told them until they speak with one voice then will he give them Blessing. He said that speaking with one voice will bring Peace to the Local Government. This was what the Paramount Ruler said because similar thing happened in Ini Local Government Area.         
And until now there is crisis there because proper consultation was not made, due process was not followed. There was neither election nor adoption and whether you like it or not I constitutionally represent the people of Ikono State Constituency, the Commissioner represents Ikono in the state executive cabinet and the Local Government Chairman is the Chief Security Officer while the Chapter Chairman is the father of the party, so when these people are not in the gathering it is not complete.
So, I was surprised when somebody called me and told me that we installed a political leader and I said there is nothing like that. My stand is that proper consultation should be made. I’m not against Ikono having a political leader, but the process is what I’m against.
I told the Sir Victor Etefia led committee that visited me that the house built on a wrong foundation cannot stand, it will certainly collapse. They started the journey wrongly so I said they should go back, make a wider consultation, re-convene the stakeholders of Ikono including the who-is-who in Ikono politics and there and then we take a decision and who will be our political leader will will emerge. I told  them, “if you don’t do so count me out, I’m not part of that deal. Since due process was not followed”. I told them to remove my name from any invitation that was printed for the event, if due process is not followed because they don’t have my consent.
I have a cordial relationship with the governor, but I’ve not even told the governor of my second term aspiration neither has he promised to give me second term ticket. I tell you that it is the people of Ikono that will vote me and not the governor. They that voted for me in 2011 are the same people who will vote me in 2015 election.
 The party executive will vote their candidates so whoever wrote that malicious story was paid to do so. As you are interviewing me, I can categorically tell you that what was written in ‘THE INK’ newspaper was purely false and paid for. Even the so called reporter did not put his/her name.

Qs:    Let’s get the fact right, who are these people that want to install
the political leader of Ikono. What is the name of their group?
A.       From the INEC registration, I’ m sure Ikono is over 68,000 people so if you  call a few 20 to 30 people to make a statement don’t you think that does not reflect the will of the entire people? That would be very insignificant few and secondly, if you are taking a decision for Ikono and the Stste House Representative, the Chairman, the Commissioner and sixty percent of the Board members are not there, even the Senator is not there have you taken a decision? It can not stand and if a decision is taken and only the Senator is in that meeting and other representatives are not there it can not be taken.
          Also, if the Chairman is there and others are not there it means the decision is not binding because the house is not complete.
          I tell you the truth that wider consultation was not made. Also, I told those who visited me in the House of Assembly that I don’t think the Senator has any problem with the Governor as of today. It’s all about interest, the governor wants to go for Senate and the Senator wants to go for third term, so it’s all about interest. But, that should not be a problem so why should the governor come and interfere in installation of a political leader in a local Government Area? Does the office have a constitutional backing? What is a political leader? So why would the governor want to descend so low to get into that?
 Again, the governor does not give any ticket and like he wants to aspire to the senate it is the people of Ikot Ekpene that will vote him to represent them.  Who ever want to go for election it is the people that will vote him.
Q:      Honorable Member, away from that issue, let’s talk about activities of the House Committee on NDDC, which you are the chairman. Recently, the president, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, appointed people into that Commission with one of us as it’s Chairman. Kindly share with us your thoughts on this development.

A.   Well, Obong (Barrister) Dan Abia is the Chief Executive Officer of NDDC and not the chairman. The Chairman is from Cross River State. I want to honestly thank Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, the president of the federal republic of Nigeria for showing the good people of Akwa Ibom State that he is a brother and friend. He has done very well for choosing a capable hand from among us. I want to say that the choice of Dan Abia was the best choice that Commission will ever have. The fact is that Dan Abia was the former acting Chairman of NDDC, he was former State representative of NDDC, he is a Barrister and a development oriented person. He is from the root of the commission and not an outsider, he knows every thing and is one man that is looked up to by the people. During his tenure as State representative of NDDC, the people witnessed a lot of execution of projects by the Commission and focused leadership and I can assure Akwa Ibom people and Nigerians that he will put in tremendous effort to actualize the objectives of the Commission.
I must say that the team at the Commission presently couldn’t have been better and I believe that as our son is the executive director he will at all times have the interest of Akwa Ibom people at heart.

Secondly, I must thank our governor, His Excellency, Chief Godswill Akpabio, for his transformation agenda and what he has done to make sure the slot came our way. He has done a lot and all the political running around to make sure the position was brought to the State. It would have been impossible without his efforts.

Q:      Recently, your committee went on fact finding tour of NDDC projects across the state. In summary, why is your report not published as you earlier promised?

A:      Well, you know in legislation you go through a process. We are not in hurry but diligently compiling the report. We toured over 65 projects situated in 27 Local Government Ares and sincerely the report we have is very indicting, however the details will come up later since we must be thorough. We are being careful to present a factual report.
Generally, what we saw on the field was very very bad, a situation whereby companies were awarded contracts and they absconded with the money, there were generally low quality jobs however like I said earlier, this will stop in Barrister Bassey Dan Abia’s tenure because I know he is a no nonsense man.


I thank God for that timely fact finding tour, we will send a copy to him as part of his working tools to enable him perform. Invariably, I want to tell you that the report will indict some contractors and companies, some of the staff of NDDC that covered up those poor jobs will be equally indicted. Even while on recess, the committee is still working on that report and once it is ready it will be sent to the presidency, the national assembly, the NDDC and the general public.
          We are the peoples’ assembly and through the leadership of Elder Samuel Ikon transparency will be brought to bear and people of Akwa Ibom State will be availed that report.

Q: Finally Sir, the Akwa State House of Assembly is on a very long recess and perhaps it is timely for sate representatives to visit their constituents. How do you intend to spend the yuletide with those who sent you to the State House of Assembly?

A: I owe them a duty to hold a constituency briefing to tell them all about what they sent me to do. I also owe them a duty to account for my stewardship by way of empowerment and I’m sure that will be done on before 30th of this month (December).
And when I do that I’ll call the press to come and witness it. You saw what my colleague; Barrister Onofiok Luke did in Nsit Ubium. He made them know that sending a young man to such a position is the best thing that can happen to any community.
Q: I must thank you for your time and frank explanation of issues.

A: You are welcome. I again commend your investigative touch to journalism. If all journalists were like you the state would be better for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment